Friday, 18 January 2013

Computer Science is a daunting subject in retrospect. The idea that one simple mistake (a forgotten comma or one mispelt word) could ruin a perfectly planned system, can and should put any untrained professional or student into a sudden state of fear. When I accidentally put (scale x/y) instead of (scale/xy) and only saw "error" instead of an image scaled to the values I imputed, it was frustrating. Nevertheless, because of the fact that I knew that the mistake was contained in the second half of the code, I quickly referred back to the video and solved the problem right away. Although I know there will be many other episodes similar to this one, why join computer science if you aren't ready for a new challenge?

This week, we learnt the basics of computer science consisting of useful tools one can use on Dr. Racket, a brief discussion of algorithms in lecture, and a compelling concept of what one can do with the knowledge now presented to them. Although the steps we've learnt so far don't seem to match up to the complex and almost inconceivable amount of effort put into computers and laptops now-a-days, it's kind of exciting to know that we're one step closer to being able, at the very least least, to understand them. Something new that I learnt in this course would basically be everything. Yes, even that a toaster is not a computer. I've never taken a computer science course so basically everything that is presented to me is something new; a new truth.

I'm pretty content with the materials covered this week; everyone needs to know the basics before moving onto the the more advanced lessons. It's almost like we're un-programmed computers with our lessons being imputed into our hard drive (okay, that was a bad joke). But in all seriousness, I kind of wish I was a computer that could have a simple chip inserted into my brain so that I would be able to accurately and proficiently understand and do basically everything.

Going off on a slight tangent, maybe in the future we'll be able to use our DNA to represent money instead of credit cards. We could have scanners that would scan our fingerprint and that information would be linked to our bank accounts! Then the fact that I'm forgetful would be completely irrelevant when purchasing a desired item; unless you can lose your DNA...which according to my biology 12 teacher, can't happen.    

One achievement this week would probably be the fact that I actually understood what Dr. Racket entails and I didn't get lost in the midst of letters, symbols and numbers. Hopefully that will remain constant for the up-coming classes to come.



1 comment:

  1. Haha, excellent first post! I certainly hope I can't lose my DNA, that would be worrisome... have fun with future SLOGing!

    Side note: did you know some toasters can now imprint the weather on your toast? That's pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete